Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pyre vs Terengganu...

I have been here for more than 6 month, so far I have only managed to rode 2-4 trails only. It is not that I am very busy or something, it is just that there are not much of a place for me to ride...
When I built my Pyre it was meant for torturing and hammering the trail, unfortunately judging from the current trails. The only one who taking the beating of torture and hammering is ME.

Sure we cover lots of KM in every ride we done. Weekend ride usually range from 35KM to 5oKM. Trail were mostly flat, loose gravel and with small hilly parts. If I need to put it in percentage I would say. 35% tarmac, 35% gravel flat, 20% hill and about 10% more are just too lame to be mentioned. Pyre might be too much for this trail.

It it technical?
Straight to the point...I should not even used "technical" in the same sentence. The trail was dead boring. To much of straight line and open route, basically some good rider can probably ride with their eyes close for 5 to 10 second. No hustle and no problem. Now me as a mountain biker I want my trail to force me to focus 110% to ride it. I want it to curve and swirls. Pyre is holding it's back here.

How high?
The last time I cursed at a hill was in PCC 2009, stage 4. Now that hill really kick my ass. It kicked me good it keep kicking even when I was down . Started with single trail climb to open trail that spiral to the top of the hill. I had to stop for a few times to catch my breath , that was the last hill that makes me ask...How high is this hill?? Here in Terengganu, I will consider myself lucky if I can find a hill that can make me push my bike. Pyre is has never been push here...

Downhill, yeaha @$#%^* wat over already kaa??
Since there are no high hill here, there are no long way down. If can ride downwards for more than 2 minutes, it would be a miracle. I really cannot push my bike to it's limit. Nor attempt to break it. I think the Adrenalin in my brain are getting sticky since my last ride in KL. Pyre was a jokes here...

How fast can you go?
This is the only part where I feel I cannot keep up with my fellow rider, riding a bike with 2 piece of crank and weight around 14KG surely is not the best option. Tarmac and flat Pyre is simply at it's disadvantage. Especially when everyone is riding at 3+Km/H and I simply cannot get myself to pedal hard enough. Pyre can be a fast bike, but definitely without the extra juice from me to hauled the weight and bike setup.

Overall...
I think Pyre is a good bike, but here it will be under used. Pyre were not meant for this kindness and pampering. I wish that I could find a better place to ride it properly. Terengganu would be much suited with hardtail or a fullsus with less than 2 inch suspension. Lighter and agile should be the best selection here.

2 comments:

mynameiskoko said...

Find a good rubber plantation, or palm oil. It always have some good drops or technical sections. Don't use the main trails, look for smaller ones. Those are normally much more fun.

That's how bashes are set, we try to look for small fun stuff like that.

mr.beskal@gmail.com said...

Thanks for the suggestion bro, my current work arrangement would not allow me to do much of exploring.
Still I do have a few plan on a new trail.Already find one..
The downside, all the venturing are done alone. Have not find any rider who are willing to join yet.Wish the GENGGEREK were here.